Help other travelers use your experience.
Review this destination, share your thoughts, impressions, pros and cons.
Let's make traveling easier than ever.
About Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park
BORJOMI-KHARAGAULI NATIONAL PARK is the first protected area in the Caucasus of its status. It was set up in the XXth century. It’s located in central Georgia, in the west from Tbilisi, within the distance of 140 km. nowadays it is regarded as the largest protected area in Europe. If you decide to visit that park, believe me, you will be satisfied and never regret that travel. A great journey is waiting for you, full of unforgettable emotions, inspirations, discovering the wild nature. You will never feel sated with wandering here, or looking at those picturesque panoramas all around you. You may say, this is a real Green Heaven. And the story of its foundation is really very interesting.. It’s told, that every cloud has a silver light, that’s exactly how it happened, when Georgia became the part of Russia. The viceroy Michael Romanov liked that place very much and decided to lay out here a great summer residence. From now on there was banned hunting and cutting the trees. That’s how was found Borjomi National Reserve here. Later, in 1995 the World Wide Fund for Nature, within the Deutsch Government named that place officially National Park..
Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park is the first park which has international standards in the whole region of Caucasus.
Here you can see 11 Trails :
1. Nicholas Romanov's Trail- Here you can roam around the pine-tree forests, see the Lomi Mountain, Lomi St. GiorgiChurch. The rout is 43 km and every step you take here leads you to new adventures. Here you can come across those rarely known trees, which are in the Georgian Red List.
2. St. Andrew the Apostle's Trail- which takes you to the highest peak of the National Park, called Sametskhvario (which means the Shepherds place). Also, you can see the Iron Cross Mountain. During the day you can just stand and watch the magical creatures of the nature, those giant wide-brimmed trees, which may take your breath away. It’s hard to find such beautiful place.
3. Panorama Trail- this is a circular trail, here is wild goats’ cage. The main reason of it is to breed those dying out pieces in wild nature again. That trail is special not only with its views and nature, but also, here you will come across animals’ footprints and seeing them is one of the most loveliest process for travelers. Such footprints are, for example: the Noble Deer (Cervus Elaphus), the Bear (Urus Actors), the Wolf (Canis Lupus). Also, you can see the shepherd’s little cabins and study their lifestyle.
4. The Untouched Forest Trail is one of the hardest trail for hikers.
5. Zekari Overpass Trail- the route starts in the Abastumani guard station.
6. Footprint Trail- here you can see the rarest trees, like Utkhovara (Táxusbaccáta), which is in the Georgian Red List. It has the longest life among the Europian trees.
7. National Park Information Trail- along the trail you will meet St. Nino Church, and most beautiful views of Borjomi. Alongside the trail one can enjoy picnics.
8. Meghruki Gorge- this is the bridle path, with medium comlexity.
9. Shepherd’s Trail- along the way you will meet shepherd’s little wooden summer cabins,where they shelter domestic cattle in summer.
10. The Snow Shoes Trail- one of the most popular trails among the hikers.
11. Likani Gorge Trail- this is the best place, if you don’t have much time, but want to see the rich biological variety and panoramic views.
National Park Visitor Centers:
To sum up, Borjomi-Kharagauli Park is unexhausted phenomenon, where time after time you will find out new masterpiece of nature, new emotion, new endless beauty, time will never be enough to see everything here. So just take your bag and put your sneakers and go!
- 159km From Tbilisi
- 153km From ქუთაისის საერთაშორისო აეროპორტი
Our guides are ready to help you on this trip
Book a tour online!
Buy our tours online and explore incredible Georgia!
Lomismta Tourist Shelter
Amarati Tourist Shelter
Tourist Shelter Sametskhvareo
Pier in Akhaldaba
Tower in Akhaldaba
Chitakhevi Ranger Shelter
Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park Visitor Center
Sakhvlari Tourist Shelter
Daba St. George’s Church
Akhaldaba (Tamari's) Fortress
Bakuriani Ski Resort
Nedzvi National Park
Ski resort Mitarbi
Ski resort Kokhta
Moliti Red Church
The Armenian Church of Moliti
Tabatskuri Red Church
Zacharia Paliashvili's monument
St. Nikoloz church
Zanavi church of Saint George
Saint George’s church of Kortaneti
The Ghrtila church
Likani church of the Holy Virgin Mary
Sami (Samni) Fortress
The Sadgeri St. George Church
Sakire St. George’s church
White Church of Tabatskuri
Kvabiskhevi church of Assumption
The Qvibisi Archangel Church
The Qvibisi St. George Church
St. Gabriel Church of Tsikhisjvari
St. Theodore Church of Tsikhisjvari
Matskovari church of Chobiskhevi
Lakes: kakhisi, Chito and Tsero
National Park Information Trail
Zekari Overpass Trail
Untouched Forest Trail
St. Andrew Trail
NIkoloz Romanovi Trail
Snow Shoes Trail #10
Trail of the Lumberjacks
Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park Visitor Center in Kharagauli
Rafting in Borjomi
Write review and rate destination
Help other travelers use your experience.